This is another recipe from my family cookbook, an absolutely delicious white chicken chili – lactose and dairy free!
- 2 cans of white beans (any kind works)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (if your stomach can’t handle that, a dairy substitute)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 tsp. tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 4 oz of chopped jalapeño chilies
- 3 or 4 skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 shredded dairy free cheese
In a skillet, cook onion in 2 tbsp. of butter over moderate heat until softened
In a 6-8 quart pot, melt remaining 6 tbsp of butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in onions and gradually add broth and almond milk, whisking constantly.
Cook the chicken in a separate pan.
Bring the roux/onion/broth/milk mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the spices, then add the beans, chilies, chicken and cheese and cook the mixture over moderately low heat, stirring, for 20 minutes.
Serve with salsa